Most of us will agree that with the rise of social media marketing, email marketing has taken a backseat. Hardly anyone reads their emails anymore. Our mailboxes are almost always flooded with emails from various businesses and we all know honestly what we do with them. We either mark them unread without reading, archive them or unsubscribe from the particular mailing list altogether. But at times, it so happens that some of the other mail is too good to ignore. We end up opening it, taking a good look at it, actually take the pain to go through it and even go the length of recommending it our friends and acquaintances.
The crux of this tale is that for exceptional email marketing campaigns they need to be cleverly managed and drafted to catch the reader’s attention in an overflowing inbox. Marketing emails need not be drab and boring, but they can be personalized and filled with interesting graphics designed especially for mobile devices and desktops.
Another important point that most marketers fail to take into notice is that for effective email marketing, it is imperative that emails contain a meaningful call-to-action. The reason behind this is simple if brands are taking up subscribers’ time and also their inbox space-with every other email and then their message must have a point to it.
What is the need for an effective email marketing strategy?
It should be considered as a part of a business’ overall marketing strategy and business plan. It helps the businesses to market their products and services by using the email channel with high chances of making a profit and reaching their goals. This is simply because, best email marketing strategies take into consideration the target customers, their preferences and the benefits that they might be looking for as well as the products and the services offered by the business and the industry and which email marketing messages perform the best.
To achieve an effective email marketing strategy that transforms ideas into actions, businesses need to take these 3 steps:
- Best Email Marketing Strategy: How would businesses go about in achieving these goals
- Best Email Marketing Tactics: How are the businesses going to realize them in more detail. That becomes a part of the strategy.
- Actions: How are the businesses going to deliver on their tactics. Even more detailed, this covers the fulfillment of your email marketing strategy.
Finding the key to develop a stand-out message that clearly lets your customer know what you are trying to say but in an engaging and fun manner can be extremely difficult. The tips described here regarding email marketing strategy requires integration between your shopping cart and email list, automation, and list segmentation.
Personalize the messages
When we talk about personalized email messages we do not mean sending an individual mail to every single subscriber. By personalization, it is meant here that relevant customer data should be used in creating a personalized message. Companies like ‘Amazon’ leads the path when it comes to personalizing messages. A study by Experian discovered that personalized emails have the potential to deliver 6x higher transaction rates. The simplest form of personalization is to address the reader by their name. Most popular email providers in Delhi offer this service within their functionality and with this strategy, alone businesses can give a boost to their campaign performance. For instance, email subject lines that are personalized with a recipient’s first name can increase open rates by 16% higher open rates. If we take into consideration the fact that 47% of all emails are opened because of their subject line alone, then this would be a sure shot way to get more revenue.
Here are some more tips to personalize.
- Asking for information directly
- Use a real reply-to email address
- Use your real email signature
Get to segmenting your subscribers
According to most email marketers, this is the second on the list to an effective targeted to your audience. Let’s go for this example. Consider that you are hosting a marketing campaign for e email marketing strategy. Segmenting your database will let your email campaigns become much more small business owners located within a 20-mile radius. So, what can you do to get the best turn out for your event?
It is through segmentation. Create a segment of people who list themselves as small business owners and are located within the 20-mile radius and send them an invite via email. The segmentation part is actually quite easy and can be achieved through CRM software. Segmenting also results in better open rates, leads, revenue, transactions, and more customers. Here are a few more tips on how to achieve segmentation:
- Company Size
- Sales Cycle
Create mobile friendly emails
We are much more active on our mobile devices than we are on our desktop, hence this strategy makes much more sense. Optimizing your emails for mobile devices will actually generate revenue and also increase your customer database. For effective optimization, follow these tips:
- Implement a responsive mobile design (RED )- When you create a responsive email design it means that the user experience is optimized regardless of the device or the screen the customers are using. Most email service providers offer this within their email platform.
- Short subject line and pre-header- the subject line is very important, hence stick to the point so that the reader knows what to expect. For the pre-header text, summarize the email or include a call to action.
- Make the CTA big and obvious- Your call to action should be easily visible on all types of mobile devices, laptops or tablets.
With trigger-based emails, you do not have to constantly send them manually, but they are dispatched automatically based on user behavior. The most example of trigger emails is ‘welcome’ emails, ‘thank you’ emails and ‘transaction’ emails like confirmation emails and email receipts. Data collected for trigger emails have shown that they are slated to perform much better than traditional emails. The average click-through rate (CTR) for trigger emails is more than double the rate as compared to traditional email click-through rates. Here are some instances of trigger emails that you can consider sending:
- Activation- When a new user creates an account but they fail to use your product within the first seven days, then create an ‘activation’ campaign that sends an automated email with their login information and other details.
- Win-back- When the subscription plan of an existing customer is ending, and they haven’t used your product in the last 3 months, then you should consider sending them an automated email with a list of new products.
- Surprise- Give your loyal customers’ freebies every now and then by creating a ‘surprise’ email that sends an automated email to your best customer.
Send an email over the weekend and between the 8.00 pm-midnight slot
The top email marketing strategy has found that the best open read for emails was found in the time slot from 8.00-midnight. The reason behind this is that if you can avoid the time when inbox crowding takes place then your emails will have a higher chance of being opened and read. Most emails come in the morning hour, hence you can perform better in the other time slot. Moreover sending emails over the weekend can be a win-win situation for you too. Since, the volume of emails sent over the weekend is low, hence margins for click-through and open rates increases to quite some extent.
“Email marketing is considered to be one of the strongest marketing channels and it is only because some businesses might not be using it properly which is the reason that they are yet to understand its full potential.”
If you are still not convinced, then these points might be able to convince you.
- Email marketing has the potential of a big reach and can help businesses in putting their message in front of a lot of people
- The marketer has a lot more flexibility in how they handle their email program
- It is quite easy to start and businesses can start small initially
- On an email marketing scale, the effort to send one or a hundred messages is almost the same
- With email, businesses have the option to target and segment their messages on an individual level
- There are little risks coupled with relatively low costs big potential for upside